Divorce signature, marriage dissolution document.

How Can I Document Court Order Violations?

If you are a parent in California, your court-ordered custody and/or support order can be one of the most critical documents in your life. It is essential to be aware of how to document any violations that may occur, as this can give you a great advantage if you decide to seek court-order enforcement.

Let’s explore how individuals can record these violations and the importance of consulting a trusted family law attorney if they believe their active court orders are being violated.

Record All Communication with the Other Parent

The first step in documenting any potential violation is to keep records of all communication between you and the other parent regarding the custody or support order. This includes emails, text messages, voicemails, and letters.

Whenever possible, it is best to respond in writing so that there are records of what has been discussed. That way, if any issues arise later on down the line, there will be evidence available that both parties were aware of what was expected under the terms of the agreement.

Document Violations When Possible

It is also essential to document any violations when they occur. For example, if your ex-partner fails to make a payment or pick up your child at an agreed-upon time, take notes about what happened and when it occurred.

You should also keep copies of any documents related to missed payments or other violations, such as police reports or medical bills resulting from an incident where your ex-partner failed to follow through with their responsibilities as outlined in the court order. This type of evidence will go a long way towards helping prove your case if you decide to pursue legal action against them for violating their obligations under the agreement.

Consult With A Trusted Family Law Attorney

If you believe your active child custody or support orders are being violated by your ex, contact an experienced family law attorney. They can help advise you on how best to proceed and review any existing documentation related to violations that have occurred so far. They can also advise on whether or not taking legal action is necessary and how best to proceed if it is decided that filing for enforcement is best for your family.

Take Your Life Back

It’s vital for parents living in California with active custody or support orders to know how to document violations when they occur and take steps toward seeking enforcement if needed. Keeping records of communication with the other parent, as well as documenting any violations when they happen, can be invaluable evidence should enforcement proceedings become necessary down the road.

At Fenchel Family Law PC, we understand how frustrating it can be when your ex violates your custody order. If you believe that your child’s custody or support order is being violated, take action and call our team today at (415) 805-9069. We can help you take the first steps to take your life back.