San Francisco LGBTQ Family Lawyer
Providing Compassionate & Personalized Legal Counsel
Family legal matters are typically complex and emotionally charged. If you and your same-sex partner or spouse are facing a legal issue, rely on our San Francisco LGBTQ family law attorneys to provide effective and sophisticated representation.
Fenchel Family Law offers exceptional legal services to the LGBTQ community. No matter what your situation entails, we can help you make well-informed decisions about how to proceed and ensure that your rights are fully protected. Call our LGBTQ divorce lawyer to get started on your case!
What Challenges Do LGBTQ+ Individuals Face in Family Law
If you're wondering why you need a lawyer that specifically understands LGBTQ+ rights and issues, you're not alone. Unfortunately, due to discrimination, ignorance, and various other factors, LGBTQ+ individuals sometimes face unique challenges when navigating family law disputes that other individuals don't face in the same way.
Some issues LGBTQ+ people commonly face during family law cases include:
- Debates over parentage in custody cases. In some custody cases, nonbiological LGBTQ+ parents can have trouble getting the custody rights they deserve. This is common during cases where one parent is a child's biological parent due to a method of conception such as in vitro fertilization.
- Discrimination on the basis of sexuality. Unfortunately, some judges will still discriminate against LGTBQ+ individuals when evaluating them as parents or determining how to handle certain legal processes. An LGBTQ+ lawyer will advocate for your rights, ensuring you receive the treatment you deserve from the court.
- Adoption difficulties. Some LGBTQ+ parents face pushback when they attempt to adopt domestically and internationally, both from biological parents and adoption agencies.
- Property division disputes. Many LGBTQ+ couples have been together for longer than gay marriage has been legal. This can create unique tensions during property division cases where one party bought property before "marriage," but still acquired said property while living with their current spouse.
- Struggles obtaining marriage certificates. Depending on where you live, it may be difficult to find a magistrate to approve your marriage. Even though magistrates and courts have no legal ground to stand on when refusing to marry an LGTBQ+ couple, some individuals may unfortunately still face discrimination based on their sexuality.
Although the Supreme Court's 2015 legalization of gay marriage was a large step forward in ensuring that LGBTQ+ individuals receive the treatment they deserve from family law courts, many members of the LGBTQ+ community still face discrimination. Our San Francisco LGBTQ+ lawyers can help defend your rights and work with you to find the best path forward in your case.
Services Provided by Our LGBTQ Divorce Attorney
While some LGBTQ family law issues are straightforward and easily managed, others can be complicated and arduous. Our skilled LGBTQ divorce attorney is experienced in handling all types of legal matters for our clients.
Our LGBTQ lawyer can assist you in a variety of areas, including:
- Property division
- Spousal support
- Child custody and visitation
- Child support
- Pre- and postnuptial agreements
- Domestic violence
For the most part, same-sex couples filing for a divorce or ending a domestic partnership will need to sort out the same issues as heterosexual couples. However, there are some differences. For this reason, it is crucial to obtain the assistance of a family law firm that has an in-depth understanding of LGBTQ issues and California laws.
Contact Our Adept LGBTQ Divorce Lawyers
At Fenchel Family Law, our clients always come first. Our LGBTQ divorce attorney is committed to providing you with the guidance you need to resolve your legal matter. When you turn to our knowledgeable attorneys for assistance, your case can be handled with the understanding, sensitivity, and urgency it requires.
Call (415) 650-1112 today to discuss your legal issue with our competent LGBTQ family law attorneys in San Francisco.
We Help You Take Your Life Back
We empower our clients to take their lives back as they navigate parenthood marriage, & divorce toward more vibrant futures.
No case is the same. We take the time to listen to our clients and really understand their goals and the future they are trying build.
Divorce can impact many areas of your life; therefore, we help our clients identify potential snares and give them the tools they need.
Honest & Straightforward
We pride ourselves on being a trusted advisor. If we feel pursuing something could negatively impact your case, it's our job to let you know.